Licenses and Permits You Need to Go Duck Hunting in Texas

Updated on October 20, 2018
hbng84 profile image

I am an avid fisherman and hunter from the great state of Texas.

Online searches can be time-consuming and frustrating, including when you are looking for information about duck hunting on public lands in Texas.

This article is the first in a series of articles intended to provide readers helpful information about duck hunting public lands in Texas.

For this article, we seek to answer the frequently asked question, "What licenses and permits do I need to hunt ducks in Texas"?

Check the Regulations

Always refer to the current Texas Parks and Wildlife Outdoor Annual: Hunting and Fishing Regulations before heading out to the field. Refresh your understanding of the hunting regulations and learn of any changes.

What Licenses and Permits do I Need to Hunt Ducks in Texas?

1. A Texas Hunting License is required and can be purchased at most sporting goods stores. The cost of a hunting license varies depending on age, resident status, military service, and physical limitation. Be prepared to provide a driver's license or other government-issued identification and your Social Security Number.

2. A Harvest Information Program (HIP) Certification is required for hunters who are 16 years of age or older. Certification consists of a survey conducted by the purchasing agent when buying a hunting license. The purchasing agent will ask a series of questions related to migratory game birds taken the season prior. If you did not hunt the year before or did not hunt migratory game birds, then answer accordingly. There is no charge for HIP Certification.

3. A Hunter Education Certification is required for hunters born on or after September 2, 1971. You are required to have proof of certification on your person while hunting. If born on or after September 2, 1971 the following applies:

  • Under 9 years of age: must be accompanied by a person who is at least 17 years old, who is licensed in Texas, who has passed hunter education or is exempt (born before September 2, 1971), and is within normal voice control.
  • Age 9 - 16: successfully completed a hunter education course or be accompanied as noted above for "Under 9 years of age".
  • Age 17 and over: successfully completed a hunter education course; or purchased a "Hunter Education Deferral" and be accompanied as noted above for "Under 9 years of age." Deferral is for up to one year and may only be obtained once and is only valid until the end of the current season.
  • Note: Minimum age of certification is 9 years of age.

4. A Texas Migratory Game Bird Stamp Endorsement is required to hunt migratory game birds, except for hunters under 17 years of age, holders of Lifetime Resident Combination, or holders of Lifetime Resident Hunting licenses. Note: Stamp endorsement is included with the purchase of the "Resident Super Combo License Package."

5. A Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp is required for all waterfowl hunters 16 years of age or older. Commonly referred to as a "Duck Stamp," it can be purchased at most Post Offices and sporting goods stores that sell Hunting Licenses.

  • When purchased from a Post Office, the "Duck Stamp" is provided at the time of sale.
  • When purchased from a sporting goods store, proof of purchase will be provided. It will be valid for 45 days from the purchase date and can be used for the interim while the "Duck Stamp" is mailed to the address on your Hunting License.
  • Note: Be sure to sign the face of the "Duck Stamp" else it will not be valid for hunting purposes and could result in a costly fine.

6. An Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit may be required to hunt public lands managed by Texas Parks and Wildlife, Federal Forestry Services, and the Corps of Engineers. Permits are purchased at the same locations selling Hunting Licenses.

7. Lake-Specific Permits may be required to hunt lakes managed by the Corps of Engineers or controlling Water Authority. In some cases, both an Annual Public Hunting Permit and a Lake Specific Permit may be required. As a general rule, go to the lake's official website to obtain lake specific regulations and requirements and to find a contact person who can clarify any questions that you may have. Examples are noted below for reference:

  • Lake Lavon (2009 Season relaxation of Lake Specific Permit). -
  • Grapevine Lake (Partial info, navigate to the contacts page to find a contact person). -
  • Lake Ray Roberts (Refers to TPWD link for details). -

Caution: Be prepared to produce your Driver's License (or State Identification) and all required hunting licenses, stamp endorsements, and permits when directed by the Game Warden. And make sure you sign all documents, or else a fine may result.

More on Duck Hunting in Texas

Our next article answers the question, "What basic equipment do I need when duck hunting public lands in Texas"?

FAQ #2: Next Article

For our next article, we plan to answer the frequently asked question, "What basic equipment do I need when duck hunting public lands in Texas"?

Emphasis will be on basic equipment needed to hunt ducks. Till then, good luck and good hunting!

PS: Don't Forget To Scout Areas!

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

Questions & Answers


      0 of 8192 characters used
      Post Comment
      • hbng84 profile imageAUTHOR


        8 years ago

        Each COE Lake has its own regulations. Every year the COE publishes a guide. Here is a link from last season. Hope it helps. Link:

      • profile image

        Douglas Bisballe 

        8 years ago

        Can I get the names of just the lakes that need a AHP or Corp of Engineers permit to water fowl hunt on? Otherwise I have to call every lake to waterfowl hunt on. Or will one Corp of Engineers lakes permit included all the Corp lakes if get only one Corp permit?


      This website uses cookies

      As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

      For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

      Show Details
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)