Skip to main content

Big Pike and a Little Canoe (Quetico Provincial Park): Day 4

  • Author:
  • Updated date:

I have built two cedar strip canoes, two cedar strip kayaks, three acoustic guitars, a sauna, woodshed, a mancave, and a fishing shed.


Using a Canoe

We could see no reason to travel further on to our original planned destination. The weather was nasty, but the fishing seemed pretty darn good right where we were. The canoe was great to fish from, so we gave it another full day.

How the Day Went

It was very cool, windy and raining off and on, at times raining hard and at times no rain at all. We decided to go back again to the channel near Scripture Island; we caught lots of fish there the day before, and we were here to fish. We fished all through the channel and around some of the smaller islands near Scripture and picked some more walleye and smaller Northerns.

We stopped for lunch and went ashore. We sat under a big cedar tree for shelter from the light rain.

After a while Dan and I thought we’d go back into the channel and try the submerged rock pile one more time. I had just caught a 20" walleye on a troll crossing a rocky point. It had an old battle scar near its tail that was well healed.

Scroll to Continue

Read More From Skyaboveus

It was mid-afternoon so I put it on the stringer to save for dinner. My stringer is just a long piece of parachute cord with a carabiner tied to the end. I slit the lower jaw of the fish and stuck the carabineer through. It will hold about 3 medium-sized walleyes.

The fish was securely trailing behind the canoe and a few feet deep when we decided to make another trolling pass on the rocky point. I heard a loud splash. I thought it was the Walleye getting a bit spunky. Looking into the water I saw, about 4 feet down, a huge northern with my fish dinner in its mouth. It was tightly clamped onto the fish. I could see the head of the walleye sticking out one side of the pike's jaw and the tail sticking out the other. I grabbed the parachute cord and pulled the pike to the surface. I was tempted the try to reach down and grab it, when I heard my son say "NO Dad, DONT!" I battled with the pike for about 30 seconds, holding on to the cord, before the huge fish let go. It had pulled the back end of the canoe around quite a bit as the huge fish and I was tugging back and forth on the cord.

Dan started to throw some big Musky baits, trying to catch it, as he suspected it was still hanging around looking for a meal. He tried the F18 Fire Tiger Rapala, that he'd caught his 42" pike on the day before, then the PIG, then the Suick. That did it! He hooked the fish and battled it for about 25 minutes, while I paddled to the shoreline. Dan jumped out of the canoe and after splashing around in the shallow water for a few minutes, he unhooked it for a photo. We made sure to revive it thoroughly and it swam away freely.

After that, any fish we caught was just icing on the cake. We caught two more walleye and another nice Northern and head back to camp for dinner. That night it was grilled walleye and garlic butter flavored rice, followed by a dessert of a few ginger snaps. We rested for the evening and discussed the day while reclining against a lounge chair-shaped rock and looking out at the lake. It was another good day.

© 2010 jimmar

Related Articles