Campfire Cooking With Pie Irons
Cherry Pie-Iron Pie Is an Easy, Healthy Recipe To Make
Family Owned/Operated Campground for Twenty-One Years
I cooked in a restaurant for two years and enjoyed using different techniques to take food to the next level. In this case, the next level is fun food for the whole family.
My family owned a campground for twenty-one years, and at night, gathering around a fire to trade pie-iron recipes was a hoot. Here are a few of my favorite nutritious recipes for you to enjoy.
The round pie iron you will notice in these pictures was handmade by a Mennonite blacksmith in Milbank, Ontario. I have had this pie iron and used it for about thirty years of fun times on a fire. The sqaure one I purchased at a hardware store in Florida. You can purchase pie irons in any hardware store for around twenty dollars.
A Breakfast Recipe
- one medium cracked egg
- 2 slices of bread
- one-half smoked cheddar sausage, already cooked
- dribble olive oil
Pie-Iron Breakfast Pie Instructions
- Clean iron and coat with olive oil or any oil you have on hand so that the bread won't stick to it.
- Take the bread and form into the iron with your fingers, making a pocket for the egg to sit in. Be careful the egg doesn't run out into the iron or the pie will stick onto the iron and won't easily drop out when it is done.
- Add the cracked egg into one side of the iron.
- Lay on the smoked cheddar sausage pieces on top of the egg.
- Then cover with the other slice of bread. Be careful to close up the iron and pull all the extra bread hanging out off. If you cooked this on a fire, the fire would burn it off. Then you squeeze the pie iron tightly shut and put into fire.
- You must open and check the pie to make sure it is toasted and not burned every few minutes. Also when you are making this breakfast recipe, you must take the iron out of the fire and set it aside to rest for two minutes before eating, to make sure the egg is fully cooked.
Assembly for Breakfast PieClick thumbnail to view full-size
Breakfast Pie Iron Nutritional Info
|Serving size: one pie iron pie|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 5 g||2%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 20 g||40%|
|Cholesterol 55 mg||18%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Pizza Pie-Iron Pie Instructions
The instructions are basically the same as the breakfast ones.
- Clean and oil pie iron.
- Mold the bread into the iron with your fingers.
- Add all your favorite pizza toppings, starting with cheese, pizza sauce, yellow peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni, or smoked sausage with cheddar, and then more pizza sauce squirted on top.
- Add other slice of bread, close the two sides up, and squish together tightly and cook 5 minutes each side.
- Plate together with your favorite dipping sauce. The one shown here is Frank's red-hot sauce, but you can use ranch or whatever you love.
Pizza Pie Iron PieClick thumbnail to view full-size
Last, But Not Least, We Must Have Dessert
There are endless varieties of these pie iron desserts to make. You can use your own favorite homemade pie filling for the middle.
The instructions for this are the same as the other two recipes: Put the bread in, add fillings, smoosh, cook, eat!
As for ingredients, I used canned cherry pie filling, but you could put in apple pie filling with cheese. I remember my mom saying apple pie without the cheese is like the kiss without the squeeze.
The best dessert of all for our campfire desserts is... guess: S'MORES. S'mores are fabulous as a centre for a pie iron pie. S'mores are a piece of milk chocolate next to a marshmallow, then a graham cracker put over and over again, foil wrapped, and tossed into the fire. A rich gooey combination that works well in a pie iron.
Thanks for reading. Hope you give these recipes a try.
Hoe to Use Pie Irons
Would You Try This With Your Family?
How many people have already used Pie Irons.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.